Wednesday, January 9, 2019

The LG C8 OLED: 6 Months After

My decision to write a guide on how to choose a new TV several months ago was influenced by the fact that I was also on the hunt for a new television five years after I bought the LG LA6910.

Mind you, the LG LA6910 is still working great even though it's closing in on six years. Its 3D capability is still fantastic (but RIP 3D Blu Rays. Gone too soon.) and everything is still functioning as it should be since I first bought it.

However, times have changed. Netflix has become the norm for movie-watching and 4K Resolution is slowly but surely working its way up to become the best resolution to enjoy movies nowadays.

So jump into the bandwagon, I go. 

If you read THIS, then you will probably remember that my considerations for my two older TVs were motion interpolation and 3D capability, respectively.

This time around, I focused on 4K resolution AND a much bigger screen than my 47" TV. To save you from the hefty details, I ended up buying the LG C8 OLED. 

Behold! The beautiful LG C8




FEAR THE BURN IN

The burn in issue is a legitimate concern for OLEDs. It exists and it happens to a few unlucky ones. As of this writing, I have been spared from it. However, I am and will probably always be weary about it happening to my TV.

So why did I even take the plunge considering that burn in is a major flaw? Well, as illogical as it may be, the picture quality simply won me over.

I was 99% certain that I would ignore any OLED TVs because of their burn in risk. I even set my mind on the LG SK8500 LED TV. But once I saw the LG C8 side by side with the LED TV, I was instantly blown away. In a moment of impulse, I said to myself "YOLO! Pack up this OLED TV for me and take my money!"

You know what they say about not letting your heart dictate your mind? Well, I let my heart win this time.

WAS IT WORTH THE RISK?

Six months after buying the LG C8, I can easily say yes. It's been a joy to own and the burn in issue is a risk worth taking again if it means I can get deep OLED blacks and magnificent picture quality.

However, the said risk is not for everybody. For those not willing to put in the proper precautions to avoid burn in, I would heavily advise against getting any OLED TV.

I use the LG C8 as a PC monitor for playing video games (mostly DOTA 2), browsing, some photo and video editing and a lot of Youtube watching. My TV information shows that I've logged around 302hours of usage time. (it would probably be around 400+ hours if I did not accidentally restore it to factory settings)

Even at 302 hours, I've never experienced image retention nor burn in issues


Additionally, I also watch movies directly from the TV without going through the PC. I usually watch from Netflix or from my storage devices via the LG C8's built-in media player for several hours.


Changing from one input to another is a cinch and so is switching from one sound output to another. I came from a 2013 mid-tier Smart TV model and my experience with its Smart features was super clunky. It was slow and very unresponsive in comparison to the LG C8.

LG's A9 processor truly makes a difference when it comes to navigating through all of the LG C8's Smart features. I am still amazed at how quickly the LG C8 can open up Netflix in an instant and switch to other apps with a snap of a finger.

ARE THERE DOWNSIDES TO THE LG C8?

I've already pointed out that burn in is a possible risk. But aside from that, there is also a chance that your version of the LG C8 would not have the Google Assistant built-in as LG heavily advertised. I was totally disappointed about the absence of the Google Assistant in my LG C8 PPA (Southeast Asia variant).

Also, from my experience, my LG C8's speakers died after just two weeks. However, LG replaced the speakers right away as it was covered by their warranty.

Those are the only negative things I have come across for the past 6 months that I've had the LG C8.


FINAL THOUGHTS

The LG C8 is a fantastic  TV. The picture quality is top-notch and its price is considerably lower than Sony's OLED TVs. I highly recommend the LG C8 for those who want to have a very satisfying and immersive movie experience through 4K resolution and HDR or Dolby Vision. If you can find a good deal for the LG C8 in 2019 and you are willing to take precautions to prevent the risk of burn ins, do not hesitate to grab it right away.


*feel free to ask me questions regarding the LG C8 
** if you want to dive deeper into the OLED Burn In issue HERE is a January 7, 2019  Youtube update from RTINGS.COM of their OLED Burn In test. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Which MicroSD Card is Best for You?

If you're reading this, it probably means you either have a new gadget which doesn't have enough memory or your existing memo...